Sunday, February 21, 2010

First day, dozens of Robins

I feed the birds most of the year right in front of my kitchen window.  My watching birds is not limited to the yard.  I see birds all around, where-ever I go.  I thought a bird/life/blog might help me to weave the fabric of how birds intertwine with daily events.  


Today dozens of Robins were very busy swooping from tree to tree.  One landed on the azalea in front of my dinning room window.  I was able to see the distinct outlines around the eyes and coloration of the beak.  It reminded me of the details in everyday life that are sometimes over looked.  I have been admiring birds for many years.  As of yet, I am not an expert or even a true "bird watcher".  I now have several good bird books and a good pair of binoculars.  The real treat I get is out of spotting a big bird from a distance.


When I am driving on the highway I see mostly Red Tailed Hawks.  There are places where they are seen frequently.  If you stop to see one on the ground, it is likely to have the prey in the talons.


In the past few years I have seen owls only when there are practically white out conditions of snow.  The past few sightings have been at dusk or night.


My favorite occasional visitor to my bird feeder is a pretty blue one.  Indigo Bunting is a shy bird.  It sits still for long periods and flies away if disturbed.  The shape and size is close to the Pine Siskin or the Gold Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment